Pages

Friday 17 February 2012

Hasora badra (Common Awl)



This is a beautiful skipper. It is very swift in flight. Its flight is long sustain. It is to be seen most often during early hours of morning and evening.
This skipper was first seen nectoring on Lantana in month of October 2012, in our campus. I was seeing this beautiful butterfly for the first time. It was around 8.30 in morning. It was lucky day because I decided to take camera with me, consequently got few snaps. I saw both female and male nectoring. Female have yellowish spots in the cell and in apical region of forewing while male has no yellowish spots on forewing cell and apical region.

Flash reveals purple colour on underside of their wings. There were 5-6 Common Awls. After that I regularly saw Common Awls nectoring there for almost 3 weeks.
Its status is given as 'not rare' in Wynter-Blyth.

Reference:
Wynter-Blyth, M.A. “Butterflies of the Indian Region”.

No comments:

Post a Comment